On Thursday, May 30, 2019, FedEx announced three steps it’s taking to better serve the fast-growing e-commerce market.
1. Beginning in January 2020, FedEx Ground will deliver seven days per week year-round for the majority of the U.S. population.
- Currently, FedEx Ground delivers seven days per week only during the holiday peak season.
2. Anticipating substantial delivery density improvement, FedEx Ground will be integrating nearly two million FedEx SmartPost packages into FedEx Ground operations and delivered by the same service providers currently handling FedEx Ground residential shipments.
- So far, about 20% of SmartPost packages have been moved away from the USPS and into the FedEx Ground network, for final mile delivery by FedEx drivers. FedEx said the vast majority of SmartPost package volume is expected to be integrated into FedEx Ground operations for final mile delivery by the end of 2020.
3. With online shopping evolving to include oversized and heavy items (TVs, furniture, gym equipment, etc.), FedEx is making significant operational changes to ensure safe and reliable handling of these large items.
- Changes include: designing new facilities and adding new equipment to existing facilities.